CMCS Fellowship for Early Career Film Makers
The Centre for Media and Cultural Studies (www.cmcs.tiss.edu), Tata
Institute of Social Sciences announces a fellowship for film-makers at
an early stage of their career. The fellowship is designed to provide
the resources and environment for films that are innovative, relevant
and contribute to the growing body of documentary and short film work
The fellowship consists of:
* A stipend of Rs. 15,000 per month for a maximum period of
* The provision of in-house HDV equipment including camera and
editing facilities, if the work is to be carried out in Mumbai.
* Reimbursement of actual of production expenses on the basis of
a pre-approved budget. These expenses are expected to be in the
region of Rs. 1.5 to 1.75 lakhs, depending on the logistics of the
In order to be considered for the fellowship applicants are required to
* A detailed curriculum vitae
* Up to two non-returnable samples of work on DVD/VCD.
* An essay outlining the film proposal in not more than 2000
words. This essay should include: a working title for the film,
language, the central theme of the film, approach to the content and
narrative style, possible visual segments.
* A production schedule with a detailed time frame for: research
and script, cinematography, editing to rough cut, editing to final
cut, submission of all material.
* A budget for other production expenses (e.g. travel, field
expenses, payments to other professionals etc.). Please note that the
fellowship does not support any infrastructural costs such as setting
up of an office, buying of equipment, or per diem costs.
* Names and contact details of two referees, preferably from the
field of media, whom we will contact for a reference if needed.
The fellowship is open to all Indian nationals. An early career
filmmaker is defined as someone who has completed her/his media
education not more than 5 years ago. In case of applicants without a
media degree, they should have made not more than 5 documentary or short
Up to two fellowships are available based on the quality of applications.
Short-listed candidates may have to come for an interview in April
2011. Travel will be reimbursed at the rates of three tier non-AC
train fare against valid tickets.
All proposals must be submitted as hard copies and signed by the film
Centre for Media and Cultural Studies
Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Deonar, Bombay 400 088, India
Phone:+91 22 2552 5661
For any queries please contact: email@example.com
Last date for receipt of applications is March 31, 2011.